At GIJN we're gathering resources on investigative and data journalism techniques to help journalists working on the coronavirus crisis. Have a suggestion or a great example of watchdog reporting on COVID-19? Send it to us at email@example.com.
We released a comprehensive guide to Investigating Health and Medicine.
- Read it here in English, French, Italian, and Russian, and Spanish.
- The English PDF version available
Our guide to covering the crisis is now in 13 languages. You'll find tips on the best sources, reporting, and protecting yourself:
- Tips for Journalists Covering COVID-19 in English, Amharic, Arabic, Chinese, Bangla, Farsi, French, Japanese, Kiswahili, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese.
Also, our webinar series "Investigating the Pandemic" features these resources:
- Digging into COVID-19: Ideas for Investigations -- Video, Story
- Resilience and Reporting: Staying Healthy and Sane -- Video, Story, Resources
- Collaborating on Long-form, Documentary TV and Video -- Video, Story, Pitching platform
- Strategies for Financial Survival -- Video, Story
- Staying Safe: How to Report A Pandemic -- Video, Story
- Using Open Source Info to Investigate from Home -- Video, Story, Tipsheet
- Evaluating the Evidence -- Video, Story
- The Threat to Africa -- Video, Story
- Supply Chains: Tracking Medicine, Masks, and Other Supplies -- Video, Eban's Tools, Mendoza's Tools
- Tracking Billions in COVID-19 Contracts -- Video, Resource Guide
- Visualizing COVID-19 Data: Tips and Traps -- Video, Story
- Digging into the Data -- Video, Story
- Reporting COVID-19 Disinformation -- Video, Story
- Following the COVID-19 Money in Africa -- Video in English, Video in French
- Surviving as a Freelance Journalist -- Video, Pitching Guide, Tipsheet
- Open Source Investigations in Africa -- Video in English, Video in French
- Where Do We Go From Here: New Avenues for Investigative Reporting on the Pandemic -- Video
- How to Turn Local COVID-19 Stories into Investigations -- Video
- Mobile Journalism During the Pandemic -- Video
- How to Understand and Handle COVID-19 Data -- Video
- Planning A Pandemic Investigation -- Video
- COVID-19: How to Combat the Infodemic -- Video
- COVID-19: Investigations for Now and Thereafter -- Video
- How to Continue Investigating During the Pandemic -- Video
- Safety and Security for Broadcast Workers During COVID-19 -- Video
- Safety and Security for Camera Journalists During COVID-19 -- Video
- How to Protect Yourself -- Video
- Investigating the Pandemic: Lines of Inquiry -- Video
- Scientific Approach to the Coronavirus -- Video
- Digital Security for Investigative Journalists -- Video
- Investigating COVID-19 Without Leaving Home: OSINT Tips -- Video, Story
- Who Makes Money from the Coronavirus -- Video
- High-speed COVID-19 Investigations -- Video
- Effective Promotion of COVID-19 Investigations on Social Networks -- Video
- How to Find Real Estate of Corrupted Officials in Europe -- Video
- Investigating COVID-19: Lessons from the Epicentres -- Video, Story
- COVID-19 Beyond Borders -- Video, Story
- How to Cover COVID-19 News While Staying Safe -- Video
More Stories and Guides from GIJN:
Researching Government Contracts for COVID-19 Spending, in English.
Tracking COVID-19 World Bank Funding by Country, in English.
How to Tackle the Global Undercount in COVID-19 Deaths: Reporters Offer Tips and Techniques, in English.
A Guide to COVID-19 Data Sources, in English.
Investigative Tips and Strategies:
- Investigative Journalism on the COVID-19 Crisis highlights 50 stories from 17 countries that dig into various aspects of the pandemic, in English, Arabic, Bangla.
- Expert Advice on Investigative Angles, in English, Bangla, Chinese, French, Russian
- 9 Lessons from Chinese Journalists on Covering COVID-19, in English, Arabic, Bangla, Chinese, French, Russian.
- What Investigative Reporters Need to Ask About COVID-19, in English, Arabic, Bangla, Spanish.
- COVID-19 in Africa: A Collaborative Story Idea List, in English, Arabic.
- How to Tackle the Global Undercount in COVID-19 Deaths: Reporters Offer Tips and Techniques, in English.
- Researching Government Contracts for COVID-19 Spending, in English, Portuguese, Spanish, Arabic, and Bangla.
- 6 Tools and 6 Techniques Reporters Can Use to Unmask the Actors behind COVID-19 Disinformation, in English.
- How Leading Photojournalists Around the World Are Documenting COVID-19, in English.
- Tracking COVID-19 World Bank Funding by Country, in English, French, Bangla, and Hindi.
- How to Minimize the Impact of COVID-19 on Your Media Business, in English, Bangla.
- How to Adapt Membership Models and Events During the Pandemic, in English, Chinese.
- Tips for Running An Online Event in the Time of COVID-19, in English.
- COVID-19 Grants for Journalists and News Media Worldwide, in English, Spanish.
- How Independent Media Can Learn from the Pandemic, in English.
Freedom of Information
- Tips on Making FOIA Requests on COVID-19, in English.
- Governments Delay Access to Information Due to COVID-19, in English, Bangla.
- Indian Journalists Challenge Government Over Coronavirus Transparency, in English.
- A Guide to COVID-19 Data Sources, in English.
- How Nigeria's ICIR Pushes for Accountability in the COVID-19 Response, in English.
- How an Innovative Health Website in South Africa is Covering COVID-19, in English.
- COVID-19 Toll on Journalists: 64 Dead in 24 Countries (as at May 5, 2020), in English.
Data Journalism and Visualizations
A Guide to COVID-19 Data Sources, in English.
- Chinese Media's Visual Reports, in Chinese.
- Social Distancing Simulations, in English.
- Epidemic Modeling, in English.
- Flattening the Curve, in English.
- Staying at Home by Income, in English.
- Viral Data Visualizations, in English, Russian.
- Bill Gates Conspiracies, in English, Russian.
- Fact-Checking Coronavirus, in English, Russian.
- Post-Lockdown Traffic, in English, Russian.
- Coronavirus "Super-spreaders", in English, Russian.
- Herd Immunity Debate, in English, Russian.
- Humanizing COVID-19 Deaths, in English, Russian.
- Unequal Pandemic Impact, in English, Russian.
- Flawed COVID-19 Research, in English, Russian.
- Pandemic Lockdown Violations, in English, Russian.
- How the Virus Spun Out of Control, in English, Russian.
- Pace of Global COVID-19 Deaths, in English, Russian.
- Racial Inequity of the Coronavirus, in English, Russian.
- Measuring Mask Use, in English, Russian.
What We're Reading
- May 5: How Two Young Math Geeks Solved The Mystery of Mexico City's COVID-19 Dead
- March 12: Like Everyone Else, Everything About COVID-19
- March 27: COVID-19's Global Press Crackdown
- April 3: Tools for Investigating Coronavirus Fakes and Disinformation
- April 10: Google Mobility Reports, Pegasus Spyware for Virus Tracking
- April 24: Whatsapp Engagement, Media Survival
- May 1: European Media's COVID-19 Trust Test
- May 15: Fact-checking Viral "Plandemic" Video
- May 22: COVID-19 Collaboration